Sunday, May 3, 2009

Call Weekend

On the second day of my monthly "call weekend" at the Mecca. Yesterday was a mess. How can so many people manage to #(^&@^& themselves up over such a beautiful weekend? Gunshots, car wrecks, how the hell does a man fall in a sewer hole? It's friggin Saturday, why are you near a sewer hole? Swine Flu, yup, hear it comes. Nice to know every sick &^#*) in town is going to be brought where I am. Very comforting.
On a brighter note, my new gear hunt is turning into a major choice for me. Do I get all three pieces I want? Or, do I get the best of each one, one at a time. I keep going back and forth. I know what I should do, but can I? I should just break down and get the Retro 176 or the Vintech X73i. Perhaps the LA2A.
Greg officially gets the studio to himself today. I know he can do it. He is very intuitive. He has a great background with live sound and is well versed in the signal flow if the recording chain. The big question is, will the ghost in the machine rise up to confound him. It always seems to find me. Remember the mantra Greg: Reboot. And don't forget, apple save.
Going to spend the rest of the week getting prepared for"VIVA LA VOX". It should be a radical change recording live rather than track on track. More ambient room sounds and mic bleed, but, when it works right, a beautiful full palate of sonic goodness. Mic selection and compressor settings will be CRITICAL. Phasing will also be a major issue. Mic placement is paramount. Greg worked with Charles Dye to come up with a great solution for recording the room. That one will remain a trade secret.
Well gotta go, Trauma Hawk lands in 5 minutes. What did they bring us this time? Marc

1 comment:

  1. how the hell DOES a man fall in a sewer hole?
    sounds like somethin that i would do....
    really.
    perplexing nontheless....
    hope the rest of your weekend was excellent.

    ReplyDelete