Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Down the rabbit hole






What a strange day.  Went to my mom's 76th birthday party.  Lots of real old people.  My dad was bombed drinking rusty nails.  Should have seen his eyes.  Met a delightful old man named Don who gave me a vase for the flowers we got my mom.  Don is gay.  Big fuckin deal.  Anyway, half way through dinner I start telling the story of the making of the BLACKFINGER video at the gay pride festival.  Here I am telling the story and a dozen old fucks are waving at me and pointing to Don.  I'm thinking, what the fuck, he knows he's gay.  I wasn't talking about him.  I thought my dad was going to shit.  They all changed the subject and ignored my story.  I was pissed.  It went downhill from there. 
JR packed up and went to Mikey's yesterday.  The studio looks like we had a fire sale.  He took the Yamaha DSX and the Nord Keyboards.  The LG1 and the J45 made the trip.  Jenny, the 12 watt Supro, went as did the best of the Cream City pedals.  Apogee Trax 2 mic pre's as well as the Altec went.  The Blueberry and some SM81's got in the car.  I think he's got enough on board to start his own studio!  Hope he doesn't.  Dave Vandervelde flew down from Chicago to join them.  Dave is a one man band (John's quote).  He also is a fine dude.  I know the next three weeks are going to be magical.  
Finished Souveniers  last night with Jeff.  Greg engineered the session.  He also played a cool nashville guitar part as well as a kick drum.  His production on this project has been nothing short of amazing.  He has THE ear for this type of music.  Nowadays I find his insight to be critical.  I think it's his knack for finding the cream in a song and bringing it to the top.  His sense of timing and pitch is so helpful to me.  He hears the "other" beats and contrary patterns that I am just not sophisticated enough to pick out until made aware. Every day I get to work with him I can feel myself grow as a music person.  It is a great feeling.
Just finished up my four day call stint for this month.  They like to kill me anymore. I'm not as young as I used to be.  I feel it the next few days.  It's real hard to stand in one place for 8, 10, or 12 hours without sitting down.  Granted there is the adrenaline rush but after years the buzz just doesn't get you off like the first time. Especially when you're dead tired.  Or worse, tired and hungry.  
Getting ready for the VIVA LA VOX session this weekend. Greg has offered to help with the engineering and I'm gonna take him up on it.  There are so many variable involved in a live situation, it helps to have another set of hands and ears.  
Well, that's running long so adios till next time folks, Marc
P.S. todays pics are: Dave Vandervelde here at Elegbaland, my Mikey, Jeff at the piano, Jeff on harmonica, and Jeff and Mike playing guitars in my living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment