Friday, May 29, 2009

BAD FOG OF LONELINESS


Some times when I get new gear I feel real good.  Others it's a little bittersweet.  I bought a bass guitar from my friend ______ today.   _______ is one of the most natural guitar players I've ever seen.  He plays as if the guitar were an extension of his arm and hand.  He also has a wicked addiction.  Not the kind where you do shit and in a few years you come out of it.  ______ is a full blown lifelong junkie.  He's the greatest guy in the world, gentle as a lamb, but that itch gets him and his skin starts to crawl and there's no stopping it.  Over the years I have bought many pieces of gear from ______.   Not shit, but vintage tone monsters.  Fender amps, Gibson guitars, most recently a 1948 Richenbacher (that's right CH not CK before they changed the spelling) lap steel.  I saw David Gilmore play "that great gig in the sky" with one the other night.  I saw one once on EBAY listed for 1800 dollars.  ______ sold it to me for 200.00.  Well today ______needed to give the pawnshop $ so I am going to buy it so it is not lost.  It is a very wierd Ibanez hollowbody.  I love hollow basses.  They have a fat round warm tone.  This one we used on the Storch's CD for the bass on "Roll away the stone".  Anyway _____ looses another guitar, addiction wins, and so do I.  I sort of feel like a whore. This is a picture of the lap steel.  It was ______ grandfather's guitar.  How fucked is that.    

No comments:

Post a Comment