Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Great night playing with Jeff.  After we played our John Prine songs, Marie's boyfriend Phil played two more Prine songs and then Suzanne Cannon played one of his too.  Turned into a regular Prinefest.  Tonight going to record the Storch Bros.  Ron Desaram is back playing with them and they sound great.  Bill Meredith will be doing the drums.  The seven songs i heard last time are great songs in a classic Beatle/Stones way.  Maybe if I'm sly i can sneak in on the piano.  Played John's J45 last night and fell in love with it.  Going to ambient record the room tonight with a Peluso P12 tube mic into the Universal Audio 610 tube mic pre and then a Summit Audio DCL200 tube compressor.  I want a nice warm round sound they isn't too edgy but breaks up nicely when pushed.  That way the room ambient sound will compliment the style of the music the band is playing.  One thing i love about the equipment here is the sonic character all the different combinations offer.  I hate using plug-ins.  I like the T Bone Burnette style of getting a great sound during the record phase.  I guess I'm spoiled because now i know what an acoustic guitar should sound like.  I use to fight the room, it was my enemy.  But now we have a symbiotic relationship, I've learned to love and respect her, to listen to her close. Her nuances add to her beauty.  Inside her I'm like a man in a glider.  Our choice of gear has been a result of this process and John and I have the best stuff around, check out the pics, API, UA, VINTECH, PURPLE AUDIO, EMPIRICAL LABS, TOFT, APOGEE, SUMMIT AUDIO, ALTEC, LANGEVIN, JBL, YAMAHA 32 channel PM1000 console. 

No comments:

Post a Comment