Thursday, March 19, 2009

Microphones




Had a dude ask me what microphone I use to record with today and he looked real puzzled when I told him I use several different mics.  But "what about a guitar cab", he said.  That brings me to this blog's point, the situation selects the microphone.
 If I want punch, for instance, I will use a dynamic mic say an Audix I5 or a shure SM57.  Perhaps even a Heil PR30 or a EV 635A (the Hammer). If I want the room I might use a ribbon mic like a Cascade Fathead of Vinjet .  Deeper in the room I might use a short dual ribbon such as a Cascade Radiator or an Oktava MA 52-02.  If I want a more "in your face" tone I might use a condenser such as a AKG 414B-LS , a Blue Blueberry or even a Audio-Technica 4033.  I don't usually use small diaphram, I save those for acoustics, pianos and hi-hats.  For a big round sound, nothing beats a tube mic.  I often use our Peluso P12.  I think God has all Peluso mics in his church.  
Don't forget mic placement is crucial to a good tone.  If you use multiple mics, it can make a great sound or kill a recording.  Phasing is an engineers nightmare, but, if you follow a few simple rules, you can be a tone king. 
One more thing, and a big one at that, a mic can only reproduce what it hears.  If you start with great tone, you'll end with great tone.  If you start with shit............ 

No comments:

Post a Comment