Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Rainy days and Mondays




Well it's pouring out this morning. All the cats are getting cabin crazy and picking fights.  My last day before returning to work.  
Finished the piano on "lies" yesterday.  Not really sure where the song will go.  This one is too personal to me.  Got some good and bad responses from a few friends.  I have been told about my Townes VanZant similarity before, but was shocked to hear it from an impartial listener. Quite an honor.  The Hank Williams likeness I have had all my life.  I guess my daddy really rubbed off.  That's all he ever used to sing.  He new all his songs.  I'll never forget, when I was young, seeing my dad come home drunk with a guitar he won at the bar for performing a tune. It changed my life.  When I saw that guitar lying on the table, I knew what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.  Unfortunately, that's not what happened, but, the point is, I knew. All reviews can't be good however, and I did get some negative responses. Sadly, the one who really matters thinks it lost it's essence in translation from it's original form.  Talk about being humbled. Perhaps I need to step back and look at it more objectively. Maybe it's just meant to be for me.
Going to do the electric guitar for heroes today with greg.  This time it's my turn to play and greg can push knobs.  I asked greg to bring his 58 Epiphone Coronet over to play.  It has a mini humbucker like my Les Paul, but not as dark sounding because the body is so lightweight.  I think the Blaze Lightning or the Deluxe Reverb should be a good match.  I want something chimmey like the Who's "Can't explain". 
After that, JR is going to help me record the vocal and the acoustic to "run to me".  He is also going to do harmonies on "circle".  I'm hoping I can talk greg into comping a vocal take for Daisy. 
Greg also brought over Ben's friend Julia Messersmitz to sing harmonies on "lies".  She was a very good singer and beautiful to look at.  Todays pix are Greg comping the "circle" vocals, me looking at greg and wishing I was playing and he was at the board, and, Julia showing greg she's "alive with pleasure".
Have a great day Marc
  

1 comment:

  1. hope you had a great day recording!
    can't wait to hear more from ya.

    ReplyDelete